Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

MORE HOBBIES!

Deja is the 13 year old daughter of one of my co-workers. She took dance lessons from the time she was 2 years old 'til last year. Now in 7th grade, she dropped dance, but already has 2 years of clarinet lessons and is in the school band. I asked her mother, "Deja is into dance and music; what were YOUR hobbies when you were her age?" She looked kind of funny and said she didn't have any!

I know I am rather aimless, but I DO have hobbies and always have. I've told you about some, and shown pictures of some. One I haven't mentioned should be obvious: I like to write poems, articles, and songs.

Our library occasionally has a variety of free events that they call BPL@night, some weekday evenings 6:30 'til about 7:30 p.m. The library people set up a table with coffee, lemonade, water, and munchies.

The events are mostly in the main library downtown. I've seen/heard Carl Winters, the Kalimba King, playing African thumb piano, and singing; "After Class", all instrumentals, with hammered dulcimer, fiddle, guitar; a local improv troup (can't think what they are called - they do Shakespeare at Sloss Furnace); Delores Hydock, a professional storyteller; "Joy, the Queen of Clean", a local comedian; "Sam Banana and the Bunch", which started with some guys in a local high school glee club in the 50s and 60s who sound as good as Sha Na Na ... and so on. Tonight was a speaker, a local lady who's first novel was released this past January.

Irene Latham's lecture was entitled, "Writing What You Don't Know". She's married, white, probably early 40s - and "Leaving Gee's Bend" has as the "heroine", a 10-year-old black girl who's never been out of Gee's Bend. Her mother is sick and it's up to the little girl to go for help. If Gee's Bend sounds familiar, PBS has done a documentary on the quilters of Gee's Bend. You can do a search for it. Gee's Bend is a very small community on the Alabama River, SW of Montgomery.

I've actually written a couple of real short stories, one semi-autobiographical. Maybe I'll post it sometime, though it would have to be in a series. Seems I can't copy and paste to post here (or at least I haven't figured it out). It's 4 pages long, so would have to be 4-or-6 posts (or 1 that I would type a bit more every few days). Maybe I'll post it, but not tonight!

No comments:

Followers