Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Good Things!

I just read about a new book that sounds "soul searching": "One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are" by Ann Voskamp. It's about having a journal even when times are darkest - lose a job, real sick, someone passes from this life, you think you can't go on, etc. - and writing 5 good things that happen to you each day. You DON'T write: "he's still in a coma", "I fell again", "she doesn't understand", "I'll never lose weight", "neighbor's dog pooped on my yard", etc.

You write only positive things. It might be as simple as "the sun came up today", "I can see", I have food to eat", "the cashier smiled at me", etc. If things are really dark, you still try to find something good, remembering that some people don't have enough food, others are blind or lame, etc.

Maybe I need to start such a journal. I can no longer drive, but I can walk; I no longer see well, but I still have usable sight; I have more than enough food ... and so on.

And as I Thessalonians 5:18 says: "In everything, give thanks ..." And if the apostle Paul can call being shipwrecked, stoned, left for dead, etc., as "light afflictions" (II Corinthians 4), who are we to complain?

No comments:

Followers