Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

MORE Good News!

Romans 12 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. It's mostly about how to get along with others. Verse 15 says: "Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep". I hope you will rejoice with me!

On March 29, I got an email stating that I was one of the people to get a "scholarship" to attend the national convention of the Hearing Loss Association of America! I've had hearing aids since Decem- ber, 2005, for a mild-to-moderate hearing loss. I've about quit wearing them because they no longer help much. (I went for a new audiology test recently and learned that my hearing has progressed to moderate-to-moderately severe.)

Having never attended a national convention of the HLAA, I was able to apply for a "scholarship" by writing less-than-one-page as to why I'd like to attend. The "scholarship" pays for my registration, plus I got a nice check from one of the chapters which will help with some hotel and transportation costs. I had already decided to go anyway, and had made Amtrak reservations on February 19! And I was blessed in another way - shortly after deciding to attend, I went to the HLAA site, found the forums, and found a lady my age to room with! Barbara lives in NYC and is retired from FAO Schwartz. We've emailed a lot, and are having a great time getting to know each other that way.

That's the first good news. The other good news is about new HAs.

Even though the local HLAA chapter is inactive, I've been in touch with some of the members here. One gentleman knows a lot of people in the HL community, including some with the UAB Medical School. He told me that there was a foundation set up by the will of a woman here, with the funds to help people buy HAs. He made a call, then a few days later, I got a call, and so on. To shorten this, with my low amount of Social Security, I qualify for new HAs, gratis!

One step remains ... with this the end of the school semester, including the UAB Hearing & Speech Clinic, the earliest opening they have is one of the days I'll be at the convention, so that's out. My appointment is now the 2nd day after I get back!

And by the way, for some time now, HAs are not merely analog sound amplifiers; they are digital computerized, personalized hearing technology! ... and the cost is about $2,000+ per aid!

I am BLESSED!

No comments:

Followers