Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

COLD WEATHER

We had our first snow of the season last night, more than a dusting, tho' it will be gone later today. 26 on my front porch at 8 a.m. Thankfully only 2 more weeks until the days start getting longer.

Bundling up for a drive to some folks’
To play dominoes, checkers, swap lies, and tell jokes!
Boots taken off and left by the door.
There’s logs on the fire, thick rugs on the floor.
Hot chocolate and marshmallows in this chilly weather,
Or a mug of spiced tea brings friends close together!
Each one brings a dish – maybe soup, maybe stew,
Maybe napkins or cups – what each one can do!
We straighten clothes hangers for wiener kabobs –
Add other chunk food, and roast corn on the cob!
Dig out a movie – something funny or light –
Shake up some popcorn, and snuggle up tight!
The talk starts unwinding – kids sprawled everywhere –
A few hours of blessings when we haven’t a care.
The feast is near over. The yawning begins.
We hug our goodbyes as the good party ends.
Wearing parkas and caps, we brace for the drive
Back to our home. We are blessed! We’re alive!
It’s frosty outside, and maybe will snow,
But the warmth of good friends keeps our hearts all aglow.
It’s good to shake off worldly cares for awhile.
The best things are not things, but are friends with a smile.
Make time for friends. Thank God for them, too.
They’re there when you’re happy. They’ll help when you’re blue.
Tonight’s party is over, and so we go home,
But with God, and with friends, we are never alone!

- by Netagene, January 2 & 3, 2008, posted in the American Council of the Blind's “Braille Forum”, February, 2008 -

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive