Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

CRUMBS from GOD's TABLE

I twisted the meaning of Matthew 15:27 yesterday because I'd rather be called a "crumb" than a "dog", as the verse actually says. I wrote this poem today, using that same verse.

I may not always get what I think that I should.
I may get what I think is mere fluff,
'til I remember that God's blessings still shower me,
And the crumbs from His table's enough.
Moses chose hardship to follow the Lord,
Rather than an Egyptian lifetime of ease (1),
And Daniel, in prison, obeyed God's commands (2),
Knowing it's God, not the king, he should please.
I may think I should be rich in this world's goods,
With a car and a house and fine clothes,
But whatever God gives me, I know will suffice.
I'll accept whatever favor He shows.
Some think they can warm by the devil's fire (3).
Unlike Peter, they think they are tough.
But I'd rather a spot by the Master's side,
'cause the crumbs from His table's enough.
What I think will not matter when I'm finished here.
My "good deeds" will be gone in a puff.
So while here, I'll be thankful for my blessings from God -
Even crumbs from His table's enough.
When life gets hard, and I'm down in the dumps,
Thinking no one has had it so rough,
Then I think of the Christ, who died for my sins,
Then the crumbs from God's table's enough.

1: To some, what Moses chose would have been "crumbs" compared to a life of ease and abundance if he had chosen to stay and be a prince of Egypt, considering that he had been taken as a baby from the river by the king's daughter (Hebrews 11:24-25). 2: Daniel chose to follow the strict Mosaic dietary laws rather than eat the rich food that the king offered him (Daniel 1:10-16; see also Psalm 141:4). 3: Peter chose the easy way out rather than to suffer, though of course he later regretted it, and repented (Mark 14:66-68, Luke 22:54-57).

I also thought of the old Jimmy Dean recitation: "I'm drinking from my saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed".

- by Netagene, April 27-28, 2010 -

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive