Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Music to God!

Thinking about singing and how sometimes my voice is so bad that I don't like to hear it, even though I was in school choruses from about the 4th grade on through junior college. I am mostly a 2nd alto, but because I learned to read music, sometimes I'll sing lead or tenor as well as alto, depending on the pitch.

Many years ago, Luther Blackmon, a preacher for the church of Christ who I guess did not have what is considered a good singing voice, said that his voice sounded like "an alligator eating Post Toasties".

Also, at the Eureka Springs church in metro Tampa, Florida, was a woman, who like most of us there, loved to sing. I remember that she could carry a tune just fine, but her voice was so grating that it almost hurt to hear her - and hear her, we did because with the quality of her voice, which of course she was unable to help, did not blend and could easily be picked out in a crowd of singers.

But to God? Well, we are commanded to sing. If it's beautiful praise to God, who am I to question it? " ... I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also" - I Corinthians 14:15.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so funny you write this, because I am an alto in our church choir. Last weekend we sat in front of someone who had a very high, shrilly soprano voice with a lot of trill. It was almost distracting to have her singing right behind me and I had to fight the nagging feeling to think critical thoughts about her singing voice and eventually came to the same conclusion as yourself. But to help me along a little bit, I also sang louder. :)

Netagene said...

I am a member of the church of Christ and we don't have choirs, only all-congregational acapella music. Sometimes I'd play hooky from where I regularly worshiped and visit elsewhere when I'd hear about a singing! (Where I now worship, we have singing rather than Bible class the last Wednesday night of each month - that sort of thing). Another that it's hard for me to sing next to is a good tenor. For some reason, that and alto just don't mix! For a little while I was in Sweet Adelines, and because I'm not quite a true "bass", and because I can sight read music, and because baritone is the hardest, I got put there. Thanks for writing!

Followers

Blog Archive