Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Music!

Other than not doing much housework - LOL! - I've been to 3 musical events this week.

Last Sunday at 3 p.m. was the free handbell concert (http://embellishments.org) at the Museum of Art. Neighbor Anthony (sighted, he drives!) and friend Shane (legally blind) and I went to it. There were only 15 ringers but they sure put out a lot of music!

Tuesday night was the party of the local chapter of the American Council of the Blind. For the 2nd year, it was at The Club on Red Mountain. For those of us with usable sight, it is about the most gorgeous view of the city at night - you can see all of downtown and more! But the weather was freezing and the wind there will almost blow you over! Each member can invite one guest, and I try to invite someone different to each of our events, so again, I invited Anthony. Besides food, we also sing, and Ken (our prez - his site is mightpipes.com) plays a Q-chord. Sort of his signature song is a parody of "The 12 Days of Christmas" (one written by Alan Sherman, of "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadda" fame). Various ones sing sometimes, and we all join in. Besides Ken, 2 others who are totally blind also play instruments and sing. Pam plays guitar, and Lynn plays folk harp. One year I bought a bunch of real good kazoos (I think the site is simply kazoos.com), and we had a blast tooting them! They work real well on "The Grinch Song". This time, unbeknownst to anyone, when we started singing "Jingle Bells", as soon as the chorus started, I pulled out a bunch of sleigh bells ... then later in the song - a kazoo - and ended with a slide whistle.

The final concert of this week was last night. I take the newspaper (glad I again have sufficient sight to read it) and always look for free and inexpensive things to do. I'd told Anthony, and he called me about 6 and asked if I was ready to go. I told him I wasn't going. He urged. We went. The concert was at the library nearest us, and was Keith Williams (he also has a site). He's 40 and won his 1st guitar concert when he was 7! Talk about some smooth, beautiful, relaxing jazz guitar playing! Usually those library concerts last an hour, but he was allowed to go for 2 hours! (And they had munchies: spiced cider, cookies, brownies, pretzels, etc.)

And in the words of one song he played, "What a Wonderful World"!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive