Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Monday, September 6, 2010

Flying Ants?

This is "Patience, Pictures, and Birds" again - part 2, commentary on critters. and so forth ... I was told that for a hummingbird feeder, to put sugar in water then boil it to dissolve the sugar. Yesterday, I put 1/4 cup of sugar in a 2-cup measuring cup, added 1 cup of water, then poured it all back and forth a few times using another cup, and in only a few times, the sugar was dissolved. The water in the feeder was low this morning, so I did it myself, making a sticky mess on the porch steps - for which I then got a half-gallon pitcher, filled it with water, and sloshed the steps. But there were a few ants on the hummingbird feeder! Do they crawl up the steel shepherd's crook, then down the chain to the feeder? Isn't there enough goo on the ground for the ants to eat? I guess God made ants for other critters to eat, but it reminds me of a 2-line poem by Ogden Nash: "God made the fly, then forgot to tell us why".

Here's a close-up of the 2 feeders and the corn. This birding can get expensive and time consuming! (October 3, looking back at some pictures - I just now noticed there's a hummingbird about to land on the right of the feeder!)

This morning, I patiently waited, stood in different places, got a few more pictures. I wish I could zoom closer, but I stood as close as I could, held my arms out as much as I could, and zoomed as close as I could. God's tiny jewels are out in force this morning! Also, yesterday I realized where a lot of the sparrows are. There's some kind of big shrub near one corner of my house, and if sparrows were bright colors, that bush would look like a Christmas tree, loaded with birds!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive