Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

INCONVENIENCY

This week, I read "An Inconvenient Christmas" by Joseph S. Bonsall, one of the Oak Ridge Boys. You know that I do not celebrate Christ's birth at any time. However, the small book makes some good points. The family in the book runs into several snags leading up to December 25: delayed mail, car trouble, fire. Nothing happens as hoped and planned. There are moans about what an inconvenient time for the mail to run late, or the car to break down, and so on. The widowed grandfather then mentions how on that "first Christmas" nothing was convenient either - walking and traveling by donkey to another city, with the woman expecting a baby at any day, having to pay taxes to a government you do not like, staying outside with animals rather than in a cozy room ...

The story also reminded me of what Gloria and Bill Gaither wrote about their song, "Because He Lives". Gloria found out she was expecting another child when things weren't looking so good for them or for the country. They wondered how they could even think of raising a child in such an unstable world. What an inconvenient time to have another child! Then they thought of Christ's birth, and how things really haven't changed. Thus, because Christ lives, we can face tomorrow!

In Acts 24:25, "As [Paul] reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee."

If you are waiting for a "convenient season", there will never be one. Something will always be in the way: the weather, you have company at your house, your leg is broken ...

Remember the story of the man who planned to build bigger barns to store his abundance of goods? What did God tell him? Read Luke 12:13-20.

You know we are not promised tomorrow. You know what God's Word teaches about obedience to God. Why wait?

Today is the only "convenient" time you have to obey God. "... now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." 2 Corinthians 6:2

- by Netagene, written today -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post, Netagene. So true, but also, so quickly forgotten as life stampedes over the God-moments that fill every second of every day. I am guilty as charged. Thank you for a convicting and truth-filled post.

Oh, and I LOVE that song..have sung it many times in choir!

Netagene said...

Thanks so much! I have Gloria Gaither's book about the story behind that song and several others she and Bill have written.

Followers

Blog Archive