LADY with the LONG WHITE CANE (Freedom Cane) is somewhat my "signature" poem. It has pretty much been around the world and read and used in various places. For awhile I was almost totally blind, but thanks to God and good doctors, I again have a good bit of usable sight. I resisted getting O&M training (O&M: orientation & mobility, i.e: white cane navigation) through state voc rehab, but finally relented. I had been put in touch with a lady about my age, who had resisted a cane at first though now has a dog guide. Early 2004, Carol said, in a brainstorming session to which she invited me to participate at Lakeshore (http://www.lakeshore.org/), that once she agreed to a white cane, that she felt free, that the cane allowed her to safely go more places than she could otherwise.
Who's that coming down the walk?
It's a lady with a long white cane.
She could stay in and feel sorry for herself,
But independence is her "game"!
She might stumble when she walks, but at least she walks,
A bit unsteady, but she won't fall.
She's liberated by that cane that she swings in front.
In her mind, she walks proud and tall!
Someone blind with no cane might stumble and fall.
"There's a stupid drunk" is what you might say.
But someone blind with a cane for all the world to see
Says, "This cane gives me freedom every day!"
So if you're newly blind, and don't want any aids -
You'd rather folks think you are drunk or lame,
Just listen to me 'cause I've been "where you are".
I am the lady with the long white cane.
- by Netagene, in 30 minutes on April 1, 2004 -
To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!
- I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!
- ► 2013 (19)
- ► 2012 (34)
- LADY WITH THE LONG WHITE CANE
- A LITTLE BIT FINE
- TRAVELING LIGHT
- HOSTILE, RELUCTANT PATIENT
- WHY NOT?
- HOBBIES AGAIN
- TWO FAVORITE VERSES
- SING TO ME
- MUSIC and LAUGHTER
- BORING WEATHER!
- OFF WORK
- AUTOHARPIN' on NEW YEAR's EVE
- ON the ZEPHYR
- 12:10 a.m. JANUARY 1, 2010
- ▼ January (20)