Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

PRIDE and ENVY

Leah and Rachel - Genesis 29:21-30

Two Laws of Envy:
1. Inequities are a fact of life. Gross inequities (such as what all Bill Gates, a company CEO, the US president has) do not create envy, but slight inequities by someone we are close to emotionally or physically (a family member, a co-worker) do. People who are envious are actually angry at the blessings from God.

Envy is selfishness on steroids, hating the person who has something so much that you'd rather everyone have nothing, rather than you not to have something.

Here are the names and the meanings which Leah gave to her sons and the sons born of her maid (sounds to me like she was rubbing it in to Rachel that she had children and Rachel had none):
Reuben - Surely the Lord has looked upon my affliction.
Simeon - Because the Lord heard I was hated, He gave me this son also.
Levi - Now this time my husband will be joined to me.
Judah - Now I will praise the Lord.
Gad - A troop comes!
Asher - Happy am I, for the daughters will call me blessed.
Issachar - God has given me my hire.
Zebulun - God has endued me with a good dowry.

Read I Kings 3:16ff - about the 2 prostitutes and their babies.

2. Envy leads to violence - Cain (Genesis 4:3-8), James 4:1-2; character assassination.

Children learn from their parents. Jacob learned from his mother Rebekkah to deceive his father Isaac to get what he wanted - the birthright, even though God had already said that the elder (Esau) would serve the younger (Jacob). Laban, Jacob's father-in-law, deceived Jacob in giving Leah, rather than Rachel, to Jacob. Jacob's older sons were envious of Joseph, put him in a pit, and sold him to passing merchants.

Envy is a symptom of a disease: idolatry. Example: a parent who selfishly wants to be idolized may try to do it through their children, in trying to make their child into a great musician or athlete, so that they (the parent) will be put on a pedestal.

Envy is overcome by shifting our focus to God. God does not look on our physical attributes - He doesn't look for which of us is physically the best looking (I Peter 3:3-4).

James 4:4-10; I Peter 2:4-10 - We may be rejected by men, but chosen by God. Whose opinion matters?

(My notes from Monday night's sermon by David Maxson).

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive