Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bible Lessons, etc.

I have gotten a few interesting comments about what I wrote about superheroes, talking vegetables, etc., and about what Christ died for. I tried to publish them a couple of times, but somehow got an error message so gave up and trashed them. I did read them all. Thanks for reading what I write though, and taking the time to respond.

I stand behind what I wrote. Isn't it wonderful that we live in the USA where we can voice our opinions and not worry about being mutilated or killed if our opinions differ?

A person does not learn by having things "dumbed down" to them. Have you ever seen a grammar school reader or math book from years ago? Some of them would be real hard today. Some actually taught the Bible, and I'm not talking about a modern English translation, but the Shakespearean English of the version authorized by King James I and which was finished in 1611! Who do you know today who says, "I wot not" for "I don't know"? (See Romans 11:2 and Philippians 1:22.)

A baby bird never learns to fly if it doesn't do something it's never done before. A child or adult will not grow mentally if all they hear or read is what they already know. If all a child eats is cookies and milk, that child will not grow, at least not the way it should. I've heard of churches who would put, say, a $5 bill under one seat, and whoever sat there, got to keep the money. But what happens when there is no bill taped to the seat? What happens when the fun and games end? You know as well as I know - the person, whether child or adult, quits showing up. They were there for the "fun and games", not for something substantial, not for something that will last for eternity.

Where I attend worship to God, we do not have a fellowship hall or a kitchen. We do not sponsor a scout troop. We do not have a basketball court. The money that is collected goes for what is necessary for the teaching and preaching of God's Word: a building in which to meet (along with pews, water, electricity, etc.), song books, Bibles, Bible class materials, etc.

Schools and families are for things such as recreation and secular learning and physical exercise. Of course parents are also the "first line" in teaching children about Jesus, and about morals: honesty, kindness, courage, patience, and so on. (See Deuteronomy 6:8-9; 11:18-19; Proverbs 1:8; 4:1; Ephesians 6:4; II Timothy 1:5; 3:14-15.)

Jesus did not die for us to play a ball game, or for us to have a weenie roast. (See I Timothy 4:7-8.) Jesus died so that, when we pass from this life, we will go to Heaven.

Here's one I heard years and years ago: "A church that has afternoon teas, ice cream socials, and chicken suppers - is as weak as the tea, as cold as the ice cream, aand as dead as the chicken.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive