Powered By Blogger

To be insightful means to intuitively grasp things - an "aha!" moment!

About Me

My photo
I am a member of the church of Christ. I have been writing things since I was little. Some have been printed, some posted. I write to teach or encourage; to blow off steam; and for fun! I had my own motorcycle in my 40s; I was a bluegrass music DJ for about 13 years; I've performed some. I am a member of the NRA. In 2003 (age 59), I became high partial legally blind; in 2005, I had to get hearing aids! Franklin Field said: "Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds". And no kidding, the picture was made April, 2012!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

GOOD in today's paper

GOOD also stands for the "Governor's Office On Disabilities" of which lawyer Graham Sisson heads. He is in a wheelchair because of an accident when he was a teen. He said that once years ago when he was downtown, wearing a suit and tie, and with a briefcase - dressed like a lawyer - waiting to cross the street, someone put some money in his lap - thinking he was begging!!!

In today's "Birmingham News" ... a 6-year-old boy who was born with no legs at all, only a few inches of an arm on his right side, and a complete left arm - is a competitor swimmer! He was adopted when he was a few days old by a couple here in Alabama who have 2 natural children, a few they've adopted, and a whole lot of foster children. The mother always teaches the children to swim, but the father thought this little boy never would. To her amazement one day, somehow he got into the pool - and was swimming! He can also drive a small battery-powered car, using his nub to start it, and steering with his left hand. Don't tell HIM he's handicapped!

I also read in today's paper, that yesterday the McWane Science Center downtown had special activities for handicapped people. I love that place - it's a lot of fun. Had I known, I think I would have chanced the heat and the crowds and been there!

And the reason for the McWane activities? Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of the passing of the Americans with Disabilities Act. There will be special events in a lot of cities, including here. It will be at the Sheraton Hotel downtown, from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. I'm taking the day off work to attend. I'm sure part of it will be boring, but I'm also sure a lot will be interesting and informative.

I said in the "about me" section that one of my favorite movies is "Murderball". It is, and I've seen the guys in person. It ties in with all of the above. Look it up!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive